In a bad mood? You can't blame getting up on the wrong side of the bed anymore, because according to science, what you do right after you wake up can make or break your mood for the rest of the day.
Shake off that morning grouchiness and guarantee a happy outlook for the rest of the day by doing these simple things in the morning:
- Log onto Facebook: According to a study out of the UK, looking at old photos on social media can make you happier. So while sipping your coffee and eating your oatmeal, take a trip down memory lane.
- Listen to music: Turn up the radio because according to researchers at the University of Missouri, listening to upbeat, happy music will actually lift your spirits.
- Set your alarm earlier: You wouldn't think it, but a 2012 study found that getting up earlier than you are supposed to can actually make you feel happier.
- Eat walnuts: Or anything high in Omega -3s. Not only is it healthy, but research has shown that people who eat foods high in Omega-3s in the morning are more upbeat and positive.
- Talk to strangers: Sitting next to someone new on the train or stuck in line at Starbucks on your way to work? Start up a conversation with a stranger. A new study found that making small talk with someone you don't know will improve your mood.